You have chosen the perfect destination, It is one of my favorites and if you look carefully, you might find a piece of my heart that I left behind there.
If art brings you happiness this is the place to be! It will leave you feeling beautiful inside.
Where to stay:
Look for no place other than lake Pichola. Book a hotel that is on the banks of the lake and you MUST take the lake facing room.
There are many options for every range and each has its unique charm.Most of them are old houses or havelis turned into hotels.
I stayed at Jheel Guest house.Here are some pictures:
1.Stare outside the window with a cup of tea and relax.
2.Early morning, take a walk along lake Pichola (Gangaur ghat) and observe people doing their daily chores - washing clothes ,taking a dip in the lake, offering prayers to Sun.
3.Visit Jagdeesh temple and try to attend morning Arti. If you are lucky you might get a chance to attend bhajans sung by the locals.They have got some very talented singers(even kids).
Jagdeesh temple (it is 100 times more beautiful than this picture)
4.Even if you had breakfast at your hotel (though many in Udaipur don’t serve complimentary breakfast) you MUST NOT miss ‘garma garam’ kachauri and poha of JAGDEESH SHREE RESTAURANT.
It is just in front of the main entrance of Jagdeesh temple. You need to cross the ‘chauraha’ .
5.Once you are full , head towards the city palace.You can spend good 2-3 hours drooling over the beauty and opulence of this place.For the best results don't forget to believe that you are the owner of this place.
6. By this time you must be hungry! If you are looking for some home made food for lunch, head to this place –“Shree Vinayak Restaurant”. It is on the way from Jagdeesh temple to hathi pol. On right hand side.’Thali’ here beats all the roof top ones.
Must have- Gatte ki sabzi
7. Explore the local market and buy jewelry-souvenir for me .You can courier it
later to my Bangalore address.
later to my Bangalore address.
8. Cross lake Pichola through the bridge in photo below and visit Hanuman ghat - sit under peepal tree and get lost in your thoughts
On right there is “Jasmine restaurant” the parathas and honey tea here are worth a try!
Don’t miss this temple on Hanuman ghat..
9. Climb stairs up "Bagore ki haveli " and enjoy view of pichola (gangaur ghat) - be careful not to be seen by the guard.
You see the top windows..you can actually go there!!
10. MUST attend a folk dance performance at Bagore ki Haveli in the evening (enquire about the tickets in advance)
11.While going from Jagdeesh temple to palace take left into a gully and check out this shop.
12.From laal ghat take a boat ride in the evening so that you can see the sunset while on the boat ,check out the birds and some abandoned buildings
9.Sunset/sunrise from "Monsoon Palace" -you can take a taxi from Gangaur ghat /or inquire if you are allowed your own vehicle.
Saheliyo ki Badi
Fate Sagar lake
Ropeway to Karni mata temple from Deen Dayal Park at Doodh Talai for good views(check if it is kid friendly)
The Saas bahu temple
Mount Abu-dilwadha temple